US Armed Forces Recreation Center fact after WWII
“After World War II the building became a United States Armed Forces Recreation Center during the Cold War the general walker”
Summary
After World War II the General Walker Hotel was taken over by the United States and operated as an Armed Forces Recreation Center during the Cold War. It is listed among AFRC properties and was part of the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort system before its eventual demolition.
Sources 59 searched
- Places of "Temporary" Buildings: WWII's 700 and 800 Series Buildings (U.S. National Park Service)
Camp Edwards is still an active military training center. Many of its World War II temporary buildings still exist, including Building T-1310. It was surveyed by HABS in 1990. Mountain View Officers’ Club around 1943.
- World War II Recreation Camps at Denali (U.S. National Park Service)
On February 2, 1945, military authorities told local officials that the Army Recreation Camp had to cease operations on March 1. This was “in accordance with general orders that all unnecessary activities of the army be discontinued at once.” This should have come as no surprise to those ...
- Cold War Era, 1952-1974 - Golden Gate National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)
415-561-4700 United States Park Police Dispatch: Non-Emergency: 415-561-5505 Emergency: 415-561-5656
- Armed Forces Recreation Centers - Wikipedia
The AFRC was founded in 1945 and ... Garmisch-Partenkirschen, Germany on 30 April 1945. In December that year, a winter sports centre was opened which was renamed in March 1946 to the Armed Forces Recreation Area....
- George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies - Wikipedia
The U.S. Army first used the installation in 1945 as a prisoner-of-war camp for officers. The headquarters of the First Mountain Division of the new German Army was located on the Kasernes from 1960 to 1992.
- General Walker Hotel - Wikipedia
He experienced losses due to numerous defamatory statements and intrigues, until his hotel was finally closed by SS personnel and the Nazi Party took possession of the Platterhof on 20 June 1936. Büchner received a small compensation and was forced to leave Obersalzberg.
- Jefferson Park Army Recreation Center opens in Seattle on May 24, 1942. - HistoryLink.org
The recreation center was built on 100 acres between the park's western boundary and 16th Avenue South. Although the army built it, the center served all military branches with accommodations for 1,000 guests for overnight and longer stays.